Monday, June 4, 2012

why "filling buckets"?

I decided on the name of this blog because it is a goal I'd like to concentrate on for myself. 

The past year and a half living in another country has been difficult to say the least and I oftentimes found myself being quite negative. During this time, I was teaching 3rd grade in an international school and, as a classroom management tactic, I decided to introduce the kids to the concept of "being a bucket filler". This idea is based off of the book



which encourages positive behavior, showing kids that outcomes of one's own actions and words on others. I thought this would be a beneficial daily activity for the kids to participate in to concentrate on their own good deeds and be tuned in to positive behavior from others. I benefitted from weekly sharings of bucket filler posts as well because it amazed me how attentive the kids became to the small good deeds others did which, beforehand, went unnoticed by most. This activity also helped me to reflect on how negative I was thinking and speaking and reminded me of the "power of positivity".

So as this blog currently showcases my assignments for Teachers Write!, I also would like to couple it with my goal of staying positive. I've been trying to further link this thinking with my marathon training...trying to search for as many positive, motivational and inspirational quotes as possible. I like this one:

"Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"

No comments:

Post a Comment